BECOMING A GOD SEEKER
Merry Monday by Parris Bailey
During the month of December we all should reflect on the group of people that in a moment became “God Seekers”.
1. We will start with the Wise men- Seeking God with all of your might no matter the cost-
“When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceedingly great joy. And when they had come into the house, they saw they young Child with Mary His mother, and fell down and worshipped.” Matt. 2:10
True Worship demands more than a prostrate body, it involves the costly treasures of one’s heartfelt sacrifice. We must have depth to our seeking. The wise men went home another way, knowing that they had disobeyed the King’s orders.
2. Zacharias- Seeking God no matter how painful the circumstances become- When being told from the angel Gabriel that he and his barren wife would conceive said, “How shall I know this? For I am an old man, and my wife is well advanced in years.” Luke 1:18. The hopeless barrenness of his natural condition spoke out in unbelief. Heaven silenced Zacharias voice until John the Baptist was born. Even when we are brought low when the Christ child comes to us, we will be brought into a broader place like Zacharias.
3. Joseph- Seeking not his presence only but walking in obedience-“Then Joseph being a just man, and not wanting to make her a public example, was minded to put her away secretly. But while he thought about these things, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream.” Matt.1:19 Joseph stepped into a whole new world upon being aroused from sleep that night. Immanuel himself had come into Joseph’s heart and it required absolute obedience.
4. The Shepherds- A God Seeker is willing to maintain an open heart, a broken heart and a humble heart. “So it was, when the angels had gone away from them into heaven, that the shepherds said to one another, Let us now go to Bethlehem, and see this thing that has come to pass, which the Lord has made known to us.” Luke 2:15 The shepherds that night went from talking about idle speculation and chit chat to seeing angels singing. At that moment eternity broke threw and their lives were changed. They took a different course than what they had been taking. They responded to the visitation. Have you become a God seeker and continued along the way? He will come to you and speak your language. To the shepherds he came to them by night while they were with the sheep, to the wise man he showed up as a star. He comes to us everyday in our own language. Robert McCheyne said, ” A calm hour with God is worth a whole lifetime with man.” The chit chat is over when God shows up.
5. Mary- Seeking God despite the cost it requires- “But Mary kept all these things and pondered them in her heart.” Being a God seeker puts us on a journey with Christ that this world will never understand. Mary began to take it all in all the way to the cross. She too, needed a Pentecost. I pray during this season that you practice the presence of Jesus even more than ever before. Seeking Him above all other things, and that’s how you become a God Seeker!